NKN Livestream AMA with Core Team - April 2019

Question on TG by Backen:

• What’s the incentive to increase node count? Are there any definite plans to make it more profitable running nodes since I see a large decrease in node count.

Answer: As a decentralized system, there will always be nodes joining and leaving. And the economic model is dependent on token price. We estimated that once mainnet is launched and if the token price is around 5 cents, we can have 25-30K nodes breaking even if they are all running on $5 per month virtual machines.

But we can potentially have more nodes because:

• Some nodes are computers, WiFi routers or Raspberry Pi running at home, whose running cost is essentially zero.
  • Token price can also rise

We are still in testnet phase, so the economics is not as good as mainnet. So it is natural to see large variation in node count. But in 2 months our mainnet will launch, and we are quite confident that we will see a lot more nodes than today.

Question on TG by Itluss:

• We saw a video with a game like dota. Can we have some explanation?

Answer: Sure, it’s actually a custom map in Dota 2 arcade, but the interesting part is, the game is not running on the laptop where I’m playing. It’s running remotely on somewhere who are willing to provide the game streaming service and I can, very soon, pay NKN token to him by bandwidth usage. We haven’t quite announce and release it yet though.

Mike

1. Does NKN have an ambassador program and if not is it on the roadmap?

Answer: I guess ambassador means special community members that help promote and organize local events in different countries and locations. Yes we do intend to expand our country reach.

1. What happened to Bibox listing, which NKN won? The project that ended up first later claimed the listing was free.

Answer: we have not yet reached a commercial agreement with Bibox.

1. Understand that you wanna get listed on honest exchanges, but most wash trading happens on ETH and BTC tether pairs, not on altcoins. Will we see NKN listed on Huobi, OKEx, Bithumb, Bibox? Your loved BTI https://www.bti.live/exchanges/ updated statistics recently and exchanges after exclusion of the wash trading still have high volume.

Answer: the criteria we use for exchanges are: are they operate professionally and securely; do they have large new customer base that we are lacking; do they provide real trading volume and liquidity for altcoins; what are the costs and potential risks.

Arviee

1. Bruce, in one of your interviews you said that NKN can help reduce expenses that mobile operators have when offering roaming and NKN can also help create real-time bills (that operators send to each other). Can you provide some examples of those expenses in more detail and how NKN can reduce them and become an integral part in roaming services?

Answer: Today, roaming is done with an archaic system of using large clearing houses to reconcile call records between various service providers. This is not only expensive and time consuming (usually more than 30+ days after a call is made) but it opens the opportunity for fraudulent activity. By using NKN’s network and blockchain as a trusted record between parties, operators can share call records in real-time and even more importantly, can reconcile roaming payments in real-time via NKN token. This way, operators do not need to wait an additional 30 days for payment and with real-time call records, have an opportunity to spot fraudulent activity and react. Its a much needed upgrade to the existing roaming processes.

1. I guess this one is for Allen Dixon. Imagine I’m a high ranking manager in one of the big telcom companies, pitch NKN to me (I don’t get tech, I get money)? :slight_smile:

Answer: Good question and in fact, much of our conversations with Telco companies are exactly that:what is blockchain and how can NKN help them increase revenue. Simply put, NKN unlocks the value in the unused bandwidth that already exists in their network. By using NKN, service providers now have an opportunity to share their unused bandwidth and earn new revenue streams. Operators can dynamically share bandwidth when they have extra capacity and take it back for their own customers during peak traffic periods.

1. 2.1 Is NKN looking more in B2B direction or both B2B and B2C? If the last one is true, then can you make a short pitch to a heavy internet user (work + gaming), why NKN is nuts?

Answer: NKN is actually B2B + B2C + B2D. B2B is providing enterprise service, B2C is providing consumer-facing applications, B2D is providing SDK. For B2C, imagine that you can play resource-consumption high quality games on your laptop running Mac OS while the game is actually running remotely somewhere on a windows desktop, and you pay for what you use (by bandwidth usage). That sounds attracting right?

1. NKN can help streaming services reduce their costs and latency, correct? Can you “explain like I’m five” how it is achieved? For example streaming games. How will nodes avoid having to store insane amounts of data? Will it be in constant transfer from one point to another? I hope I made myself clear :confused:

Answer: This is a really a broad question and the solution depends on the specific use case. But I can give you two examples. The first one is that, instead of having to drive an hour to get a burger, we might be able to incentivize your neighbor to be a local store of your favorite burger place, so you can simply walk and grab. The second one is that, although most people don’t know, the current Internet routing is actually far from optimal in many cases, and we could solve it by having an overlay route. You can think of it as a proxy or VPN but decentralized and with much more point of presence.

1. I’ve read that there are cases of ISP throttling connection speed or preferencing certain services or websites. Can end users somehow use NKN to go around these things?

Answer: Actually it’s possible. We are building something that could be used as a tunnel between end user and the provider of some services. You can think of it like a proxy, but not restricted to web page. It might be helpful if you’d like to go around those restrictions.

1. Can NKN be also used as a low-cost anti DDoS’ing service (due to huge number of nodes)?

Answer: Good point,we see more decentralization DDOS (with thousands of nodes from all over the world to DDOS the target ), NKN nodes could be used as decentralization CDN (we called nCDN to keep the host running cause it is a decentralization ways, the DDos attacker lost the big target (hosts) in this case. So NKN have nature advantage compared with traditional ways for such kinds of DDOS

1. How will the token economy work in detail, how do you plan to make the token work AND reduce the entry barrier of using crypto? i.e. how will end-users of NKN buy NKN tokens or redeem them for fiat/btc? Will there be a more convenient way other that using traditional crypto exchanges?

Answer: TBA

1. Maybe more use cases in simple terms! :}

Answer: sure. will you be interested in helping us? :grinning:

1 Like