NKN2.0 The Debate - concerns, ideas, thoughts

Even though what you say touches on truths, I think you have an incomplete view of the current state of the network. In an ideal world as described that would make perfect sense. Now reconsider your statements with the reality of the current state of the network in mind.

Firstly you fail to recognize that cloud mining is not a fixed cost, and that these “mining whales” are likely mining at a profit in the current network.

Whether you make 100 euros a month or 10000 euros a month makes no difference in the current state of the network because there is simply no way to be economically competitive against these mining whales. The issue is not the cost of entry, it is that in the current state running a home node is borderline altruism.

Also note that running a home node is not free, you pay with your bandwidth which is paid for that is being used, additionally you are also exposing your network to the open internet through a large array of port forwards.

Lastly your scenario in which token value should drive home nodes to be competitive eventually is in my mind also false, when large mining operations currently can operate at a profit albeit marginal they will upscale their operations when there is more money to be made, inevitably reaching the exact same economic equilibrium that we have been stuck in currently.

One last remark with regards to that there should be no cloud providers, this is also not strictly true, the more cloud miners the better, the entire network benefits greatly from the huge bandwidth capacity these cloud providers provide, which has been outlined by the team as well.

Suppose NKN does move to a minimum staking requirement for mining, and then a competitor similar to current NKN appears and doesn’t require any staking. The network that doesn’t require minimum stake is likely to get more nodes. And as a result more businesses and users will move to it seeing as it has more bandwidth, leading to even more nodes and so on, creating a virtuous cycle for them and a vicious cycle for us.

Users and businesses do not care about centralisation of mining - they just want the highest bandwidth and lowest latency. If NKN does that worse than a competitor then it will be suffocated and fail. NKN must be structured in a way that makes it extremely difficult to surmount by any would-be challenger.

Many people have uncapped bandwidth limits so it is free to mine from home aside from the negligible electricity costs.

I agree that it would be bad if high bandwidth hardware wasn’t used to mine. I am in favour of the owners of these cloud servers to mine NKN. It doesn’t make economical sense for people to rent hardware to mine it, this is an inefficiency that will disappear over time.

I am not a recent addition to the community, just a relatively silent one. I would like to provide my two cents here since the discussion of tokenomics and incentive has become a central topic recently and I believe it is one that needs to be addressed before it derails the future of this project permanently. There are systemic issues with the tokenomics of NKN. I was skeptical when it first launched but in hindsight it’s clear that it is suffering. NKN comes across to most users as more of an afterthought. I would urge the team to realign efforts to focus on two areas when redesigning the tokenomics:

1. Encourage user adoption and involvement. Growth. Anyone who has dabbled in the tech sector knows exactly what metrics are pivotal when doing the funding rounds and valuation: user acquisition cost, user LTV, churn rates and user growth YoY. The activity and interactions of the user base are vital. The NKN project didn’t fund the traditional route, but it should still prioritize this end like any other startup and vigorously so. There are now more mature avenues for creating user value and involvement with the explosion of defi and token accessibility — an inevitable outcome since the inception of etherdelta and DEX’s. Any emerging platform without an accompanying strategy for adoption will inevitably lead to nowhere and NKN is essentially invisible in this area. The vast majority of great projects I’ve encountered die off due to either a lack of well crafted user incentive structures, a misunderstanding of the current market dynamics (building a product no one wants or building it at the wrong time late/early) or not applying the principle of Metcalfe’s Law — the “fax machine effect”.

2. Building a robust and aligned incentive framework. The token(s) are [literally] the fundamental network monetary unit that are meant to drive the entire platform. The non-commercial network traffic, downloads, social media mentions and trade volumes are just not exhibiting the markers of robust growth. There also appears to be a misunderstanding of token velocity when NKN was developed… Multichain Capital wrote a very eloquent article explaining token velocity in 2017 and should be required reading. It is one of the reasons projects like Vechain went from a VEN to VET/VTHO dual token system (note that there is an imbalance currently between token minting supply and demand volume of VTHO and should be reviewed carefully). No one wants price volatility in a utility token, and no one wants to hold, essentially, a stablecoin that doesn’t have a value accrual mechanism driven by demand and subjective value. That is the classic mismatch I see here, price discovery shouldn’t be done at the monetary unit of utility. In addition to aligning incentives appropriately, I would investigate a number of emerging ideas like frictionless yield and elastic supply (supply volatility). Projects like AMPL and their price-supply equilibrium explained in their redbook is worth investigating (especially section two dealing with the underlying economic thesis) and can give the team some ideas on how to design a more robust dual token (NKN/NKP?) system. One designed to create relative price equilibrium and responding in real time to inflation/deflation of demand on services and the other designed for governance, staking and value accrual (frictionless yield) which encourages additional risk taking in activities like providing liquidity, application development, node infrastructure investment, etc.

1 Like

There is still, I believe, the problem of geographic diversity, reliability and relay volume. The minimum staking requirement would be to maintain a stage appropriate network size while providing stability/reliability guarantees and to incentivize development in geographically underserved high demand areas — staking amounts wouldn’t necessarily have to be static (could be done with NFT’s and auction rights to run a node for example). You can compare this to the concept of a PoP in a CDN network … with a highly performant relay network you wouldn’t want all your PoP’s concentrated in a single geographic area nor would you want low reliability as a result of nodes rapidly entering and exiting the network (network topology issues) it will result in bad service. I don’t think we should be apprehensive about implementing a staking system, especially if you can design it correctly in a way that users are adequately compensated for risk of allocating resources and guarantees to the network.

The other major problem I see is that there is no application on the horizon that will increase relay volume by orders of magnitude. Maybe I’m wrong. Please correct me if there is a project I wasn’t made aware of in the pipeline. In that case, decentralization should be on the roadmap but not the immediate focus or concern. I can not see, at this point, a scenario where thousands/millions of people begin independently operating nodes from their home … it just isn’t worth it … I ran a node and it wasn’t frictionless or profitable so I couldn’t convince myself that anyone I know would bother doing it. It’s not a bad vision long term, but it should be something to be considered when the relay volume is already high and the difficulty of operating a node is truly effortless/passive (embedded in devices). That would, in my opinion, be the time to aggressively shift toward further decentralization and bringing nodes and the network closer to the edges (geographically and topologically).

At the present, we need a performant service that solves a core problem in the existing space. DLT and finance (incentive) are married at the hip … it isn’t just the decentralization aspect that provides the security guarantees for Bitcoin … it’s also the monumental [prohibitive] real cost of work ($$$$) to carry out an attack on the network. DLT and incentive (finance) are foundational to the decentralized/web3 space and NKN would be wise to consider this reality with every structural change made to the network ecosystem.

As for KYC/AML? Don’t do it. That is completely against the decentralized web3 ethos and what drove the emergence of DEX’s to begin with.

1 Like

hola me gustaría dar mi opinión y hacer algunas preguntas sobre los temas aquí debatidos.
en primer lugar decir que el proyecto nkn me parece una gran idea y que los desarrolladores de la plataforma están haciendo un gran trabajo.
como todo proyecto blockchain tiene cosas que mejorar, que sin duda se mejoraran.
uno de los debates que existe en la comunidad ahora mismo tiene que ver con la ejecución de nodos en la nube, por lo que entiendo un nodo en la nube es mas barato de ejecutar que utilizar un hardware como un router wifi o una raspberry pi… lo que esta creando que personas estén ejecutando muchos nodos en la nube y haciéndose con el control de todos los nodos mineros nkn, centralizando la red. ¿ es así?. los coste de ejecutar un nodo nkn son mas altos que los beneficios, tanto utilizando nodos en la nube como ejecutándolos en raspberry pi o router wifi, ¿ entonces por que esas personas ejecutan nodos en la nube si no son rentables ?. si eso es así, desde mi punto de vista creo que esas personas no están en estos momentos tan preocupadas por el valor del token nkn, por que están haciendo una previsión a futuro. ¿ cuantos token nkn se pueden obtener por un nodo en la nube en un mes ?. ¿Cuál podría ser el valor de la plataforma nkn en un futuro? las mayores empresas de telecomunicaciones del mundo pueden llegar a tener valores de miles de millones en capitalización bursátil como pueden ser: verizon, at&t, deutsche telekom, vodafone, movistar, ntt, china mobile, china telecom.
si nkn aspira a ser una plataforma a ofrezca servicios de internet y telefonía a centenares de millones de personas no seria muy difícil que llegara a tener una capitalización bursátil que se acercara a estas empresas. con un valor de 100.000 millones de euros y un suministro máximo 1.000 millones de tokens nkn, un token nkn puede llegar a tener un valor de 100 euros. con esto quiero decir que aunque ahora mismo no sea rentable ejecutar un nodo minero nkn si que puede compensar empezar a minar tokens nkn pensando en el largo plazo. en cualquier negocio una persona no empieza a ganar dinero de un día para otro, primero tiene unos gastos y luego si la empresa funciona al cabo de cierto tiempo empezara a ganar dinero, como en todo negocio las empresas que mas ganan son las mas eficientes y mejor hacen las cosas, están compitiendo con otras empresas y tienes que mejorar para ser mejor que tu competencia. con esto quiero decir que si los nodos mineros en la nube consiguen mas tokens nkn , tendrás que hacerlo mejor que esos nodos mineros, o creas mas nodos mineros que ellos y conseguir mas tokens nkn que ellos, o tienes que mejorar la tecnología para conseguir transferir mas datos que los nodos en la nube. según he entendido los nodos mineros que transfieran mas datos son los que consiguen obtener mas tokens nkn. ¿ es así ?. los dos parámetros principales que consiguen que esto sea así según he leído son tener una conexión de banda ancha de internet, cuantos mas ancho de banda mas datos trasmitirás, el otro parámetro es la tecnología que transmite esos datos, wifi raspberry pi… cuantos mas datos consigues transmitir mejor, cuanto mejor sean estos parámetros mas probabilidades tienes de conseguir el token nkn. ¿ es así?
si esto es así la tecnología que ahora mismo proporciona mas transferencia de datos supongo que será el 5g, y también supongo que existirán en el mercado router específicos 5g que tendrán mayor capacidad de transferencia de datos que los nodos en router wifi, raspberry pi, o en la nube, si la tecnología 5g es mas eficiente que los nodos en la nube ya habrás acabado con los nodos en la nube, llegara un momento en los que no sean rentables. la tecnología 5g es algo nuevo por lo que no esta implementado en todas las zonas del mundo, por lo que los nodos en la nube tendrán que seguir ejecutándose por que si no estarías dejando de ejecutar muchos nodos mineros, haciendo que la red perdiera mucha calidad y no siendo eficiente, y en la tecnología blockchain la eficiencia es clave, por lo que la plataforma nkn no seria viable.
pensad que si para vosotros es difícil competir en costes con los nodos en la nube, mas lo será en paises pobres donde la accesibilidad a internet y la tecnología es mucho mas caro que en los paises desarrollados, nkn tiene que ser una tecnología a escala mundial por lo que tiene que ser lo mas accesible posible, otra cosa es que según se mejore la tecnología los nodos en la nube vallan desapareciendo al ser menos eficientes, todo dependerá de la zona en la que vivas, en unos lugares será mejor utilizar nodos en la nube y en otros tecnología 5g. nkn es un sistema autoincentivado, esto quiere decir que tu tienes que mejorar y ser mas eficiente para poder obtener los tokens nkn, en casi todas las tecnologías blockchain esto es así sobre todo en criptomonedas como bitcoin, al aumentar el precio de bitcoin las personas han aumentado la capacidad de computación de sus ordenadores para poder tener capacidad para minar bitcoin, esto puede parecer malo pero en realidad no lo es, si la gente siguiera utilizando ordenadores de baja potencia la plataforma blockcahin de bitcoin ya estaría saturada y seria inviable, lo mismo pasa con nkn, teniendo en cuenta las diferencias de nkn de bitcoin. cuanta mejor tecnología se utilice para los nodos nkn mejor funcionara la red nkn haciéndola mas eficiente y proporcionando un mejor servicio, lo que repercutirá en un mayor numero de clientes y por lo tanto una mayor recompensa para los nodos mineros, es un circulo que se retroalimenta. al contrario de lo que pasa en bitcoin donde empresas están gastando grande cantidades de dinero en equipos para minar bitcoin haciendo que la red este mas centralizada, en nkn esto seria mas difícil que ocurriera, al utilizar un sistema de autómatas celulares ninguna persona o empresa podría instalar una gran antena que transfiriera una gran cantidad de datos a todos los nodos que tuviera a su alcance ya que el sistema de autómata celular no lo permite, lo que consigue que la red sea mas descentralizada y un numero mayor de personas sean dueñas de nodos de minería. aunque si que seria posible que una persona pudiera tener mas de un nodo minero utilizando por ejemplo tecnología 5g, implementando mas nodos en casas de otras personas con las que podría llegar a un acuerdo para implementarlo en su vivienda a cambio de por ejemplo pagarle el servicio de internet.
con respecto a un numero mínimo de nkn para poder ejecutar nodos nkn, no me parece buena idea, si ya os parece que es caro ejecutar un nodo minero nkn pensad que si es necesario tener 1000 token nkn y cada token nkn vale 1 euro, el precio de ejecutar un nodo nkn seria de 1000 euros mas a parte de los demas gastos, desincentivaría aun mas la ejecución de un nodo nkn y no seria accesible para personas con pocos recursos.
en cuanto a la incentivación de la ejecución de un nodo nkn, el principal incentivo seria que el token nkn tenga un valor superior al que tiene ahora mismo( 0,15 euros a la hora de escribir), para ello se necesita sobre todo que el proyecto llegue al publico, ahora mismo las criptomonedas tienen una especulación muy alta, pero entre ellas existen criptomonedas que tienen mucho futuro como puede ser nkn, por lo que si se da a conocer a un gran publico y se hace un buen marketing se puede conseguir que las personas inviertan en ella aumentando el precio del token nkn e incentivando a que se ejecuten nodos de minería. para que llegue a una gran cantidad de personas lo mas barato es publicitarlo a través de las redes sociales, una red social que se utiliza mucho para esta actividad es instagram, en ella las personas utilizan sus cuentas para lanzar publicidad por la que cobran un dinero, de esta manera llega a un gran numero de personas de forma mas barata que anuncios de televisión o radio… en estas red social las personas mas seguidas suelen ser deportistas, músicos, actores… cristiano ronaldo es la persona con mas seguidores en instagram con 270 millones de seguidores, es seguido sobre todo en europa, ariana grande es la segunda mas seguida en instagram en asia el mas seguido en instagram es virat kohli, también son muy seguidos clubes de futbol como real madrid y barcelona que son los equipos con mas seguidores con casi 100 millones cada uno, pero patrocinar a un club es muy caro, aunque patrocinar a un club de futbol de estas características casi te asegura el éxito.
¿ existe un fondo en nkn para pagar asesores, desarrolladores y otros pagos improvistos? se podria utilizar tokens nkn como parte del pago a estas personas presentándole el potencial de la red nkn y el valor futuro del token nkn y la tecnología blockchain para intentar que fuera mas barato poder publicitar en sus cuentas de instagram e incentivándolos a que se comprometan con el proyecto.
otra manera de conseguir que el precio del token nkn aumente su valor seria darle una mayor utilidad como por ejemplo gobernanza, los poseedores de token nkn pueden votar para el buen funcionamiento de la red nkn las personas que crean en el proyecto querrán tener un token para poder votar lo que aumentara el valor del token, aunque esto presenta un problema, los clientes que tienen token nkn para pagar el servicio tendrían opción de poder votar pudiendo votar decisiones que les beneficie a ellos pero no a la plataforma nkn pudiendo perjudicar a las personas que ejecuten nodos,
una duda que tengo es ¿ que pasara cuando todos los tokens nkn estén en circulación? ¿ como se va a incentivar a los nodos mineros de nkn a seguir ejecutando el nodo ? si no se crean mas tokens no tendrán incentivos para mantenerlos, una solución posible seria que cuando todos los tokens nkn estén en circulación, se adopte otro token creado por nkn o una criptomoneda fiable como puede ser cardano, iost, tron, polkadot o alguno otro que este siendo utilizado a gran escala para que los clientes puedan realizar los pagos, los beneficios se pueden dividir entre los poseedores de tokens nkn y los nodos mineros como incentivo para mantener la red.
KYC no me parece que sea tampoco buena idea, blockchain esta echo para la privcidad y KYC no lo es.
es fácil sentarse y escribir en el ordenador, otra cosa será poder implementar o desarrollar la plataforma, espero que mi comentario sirva para debatir y llegar a buenas ideas
no soy experto en nada así que por favor si en algo me he equivocado corregirme y si podéis solucionarme las dudas lo agradecería
no se ingles, he intentado escribir lo mas conciso posible, espero que el traductor lo haga correctamente, si alguien sabe español y puede mejorar la traduccion seria bueno
hasta luego

This is a long a quite technical threat, so I have not been able to read it all.

I find the discussion interesting as I am myself thinking about getting started with mining NKN.

2 Likes