Security Enhancement: Adjusting Fees for Generate ID

Of course it was implemented from the very beginning of mainnet launch (2019): we just set it to zero to encourage new miners. Until the attackers found their way.

You don’t have to trust us, but you can always look at the code.

At the end of the day most nodes are run for profit, and the number of nodes fluctuates according to node number and token price. So market will decide. It is not a pure idealogical system.

Excuse me, if a node without a new id can continue to work before 2,600,000

I think yes, no matter old or new id if it working well now.

I might be the only one with a different opinion here.

I believe this change is ment for network continuity, longevity, security & commitment.

As a miner I care much more about the network utilization than to a menial fee.

This in my opinion is a much needed change given the newly acquired attention. I previously mentioned in another post that token appreciation will indeed bring about attacks and here we are.
Stop the saltiness miners.
There is nothing bounding you if your mining operations do not provide economic soundness.
To all that want to continue providing the service. I applaud you, we are making history.

2 Likes

so if mining is not profitable as you say using a vps. why would anybody ever want to mine NKN… is there a better way? not understanding as most people use vps.

The dissatisfaction among all the miners is evident.

Some miners raised some serious problems, problems that I had not previously thought of in my post:

Will miners have to be twice as lucky?

Currently the algorithm chooses nodes mainly for ping and connectivity with its neighbors, but we know that not all nodes are always “successful” and this is normal, everything is fine.

There is no certainty that this fee paid will initially return to the miner who paid it, and will most likely return to another successful node.

All fees will go into the hands of successful miners, and miners who don’t have lucky nodes will never see those coins paid out again.

But there is a solution to that. :grinning:

The implementation could happen, but with a small change that this fee returns to the miner who paid it in a period of 30 days … That way this implementation would happen, but in a much more just way.

We will check with developers if that is feasible, as well as analyzing the impact on potential attackers.

1 Like

I will create a new post on this subject and promote a healthy discussion on the topic.

Our long term vision is always that, when you have a computer, raspberry PI, smart router or other device that has idle Internet connections, you can run a nkn node on it and provide service to other people. That’s why we make nkn node as light as possible so running it will consume minimal resources. You don’t need to pay anything extra: the device is already owned by you, it’s running anyway so no extra electricity or network cost. This way we can really scale to millions of nodes or more: imagine every home run such a node, it will just be awesome.

Currently most people use VPS because it’s scalable, i.e. if it’s profitable on one node, you can get 10x profit by running 10 nodes. But on the long term VPS will not have any cost advantage over home nodes, although it would take a long time before we have enough home nodes.

Yes :slight_smile:

Thanks for your support, it’s our goal to make the network better over the long term. You can definitely not the only one who supports the proposal. Actually it’s our community who first pushed us on the ideal of staking requirements back to the last year. It’s just people tend to express more if they have objections.

Let me reply to you in your post to make information more organized.

that is wishful thinking. don’t see how millions of people would do that unless there was a real benefit to them and if there are millions of people doing it not sure if there would be really good rewards for them to continue to do it. VPS nodes mixed with home setups are the way to go long term. unless the rewards are like helium where it really rewards one personal hotspot at their home, then not sure if millions of people would do for 11nkn… let’s see what happens…

1 Like

Would be ideal if somehow you guys could do something similar to helium where a home can use a specific router/gateway/raspberry PI that can only be purchased through an authorized vendor for nkn where that gateway has a unique license key that enables the home to mine NKN and also increase the rewards for those new gateways/nodes. that would ultimately reduce the centralization of VPNs and help increase the decentralization of the network since alot of people would buy it and run it at their home for good rewards. removing DIY nodes and providing a specific gateway/router/PI that can only mine NKN would interesting and possible. keeping an option for a DIY gateway would be good too I guess, but if you are looking for mass adoption I think this might be good. This might be too much at this stage since this project still is in the early stages but definitely agree with you that it would be awesome to get more people to do it from their home, but for low rewards not sure if that will happen and the issue with not being able to swap your coin is really not good. the real coin is the ERC20 coin. if you can’t sell a coin it has no value, but I know you guys are working on that. also making it easier for somebody to mine from home would help too like having a chrome extension setup that automatically shares part of your internet and shows you how much you have contributed and how much you are making would work… (not sure if that is possible) just a crazy idea.

1 Like

We also have to think about the community of miners and the rewards. Because in my opinion this is the basis of the network.
Otherwise, I did not understand how 1 vps can make currently 10x gain?

I agree with you.
I heard about Nkn in a helium group a week ago, and since then I’ve been researching this corner.
Creating a gadget for like helium is an idea, I propose something else that can really make Nkn explode. A homemade gadget + installation of a specific Nkn driver and some customizations and that’s it. To avoid the current stock shortage at helium…

2 Likes

that works too.

What is the change of the new id? Is it a new field or the previous id field? On nstatus.org, how can I make sure that the node has been upgraded to the new id?

1 Like

How to setup node ZERO?

• Suppose I’m totally new to nkn community and wanna to setup the very first node, node ZERO.
  • How could I get the very first 10 NKN from scratch?
  • Do we have a tutorial on it?

Perhaps there are supporters, but I am convinced that there are very few of them.
That is why you did not vote, because you know that most will be opposed. Of course, even the brood idea itself will have supporters, but how many of them are there? 1, 2, 5%?

By the way, I completely agree with you that there is a group of people who began to make a huge number of nodes and get 51% of the network and even more!

These fights came in March and started creating 3000 nodes every day. It was stupid. They are very stupid!

But I am still in favor of coin hold. I don’t like the idea of ​​giving away coins. It just isn’t right.

I do not argue, the network needs to be protected from such idiots. But taking coins from the community is not the right way!