Multiple miners behind single public ip address

Is there any way to host multiple nodes behind a single public ip?
Could a load balancer be setup for 1 public ip and multiple nodes?

What would happen in a scenario where 1 node has access to public and there are multiple nodes in private network? Would the private network nodes be neighbors to the public node and still operate properly?

Hi, the NKN full node software requires one public IPv4 address per node. Therefore it is not possible to run multiple NKN node by sharing one public IPv4 address.

In the future, we will look into using IPv6 address for NKN nodes.

What about the private/public node scenario?

I tried testing this. It had plenty of outgoing neighbors but no incoming. After 24 hours the node on same private network that did have public address never became a neighbor. config of the private node was seeded with the private/public node.

I find this interesting because it greatly limits adoption and scalability.
It is your #1 objective

NKN sets the following objectives:
• Any node can connect to this fully open network
from any place

So the major of end-point internet connections out there (homes and most small-businesses) only have 1 public IP and there really aren’t many ipv4 public addresses left.

Does ipv6 fix this?
How can the topology be any different if there are not isolated pools of private nodes that only connect to the rest of the network through a single node?

Did my test fail simply because there are not enough nodes? Would a test with 100 private nodes and 10 public nodes that have access to those 100 private succeed?

IPv6 support and independence from port number are high on our technical research roadmap.

1 Like

Are we any close to realizing this goal? What are the possible ways today for one user to run multiple nodes? Thanks.

Any update on this? Or at least, any way to get more nodes on 1 public address? Looking to scale without having to pay monthly for VPS solutions and have complete control over my hardware.

Hi, IPv6 is a longer term target. The main reason is not that it is technically difficult to implement (actually very easy, 5% of job), it is how to mitigate all kinds of attacks and cheating (95% of job).

I figured as much. My question was more towards if there ever was a way figured out to add more nodes at a single location like a house with ipv4. Or is that what you are explicitly trying to prevent? Because if it is wouldn’t people using VPSs be getting around that easily by just getting more nodes from them through there many pubic addresses?

The basic mining reward is purely based on how many nodes are there in the world, and might be difficult to change dramatically.

On the other hand, service based NKN reward (e.g. from nConnect) is volume based. And this will potentially favor home nodes, since you already paid for your monthly subscription and no need to pay per GB/TB. So the ultimate goal is to really ramp up adoption for paid services like nConnect, then miners can get more income from service based NKN reward (volume based) than the basic mining reward.

To be honest with you I have a very limited understanding of how nConnect works. I am assuming you are talking about this: https://github.com/nknorg/nconnect

and not this: https://www.nconnect.tech/

From what I understand though, somehow nConnect allows you to bring an NKN mining node online without the need for a public IP address?

What I want to do is be able to have dozens of raspberry pi devices all dedicated to acting as NKN nodes from 1 singular location. I have a lot of available network capacity for it, but I am limited by the singular public IP address that I am provided by my internet service provider. I would really like to be able to scale without having to have nodes in dozens of different locations as I do not want to use a VPS and want total control over my hardware.

My other concern is that nConnect works by using a VPN correct? Wouldn’t that mean a lot of added network latency and thus a much less likely chance of being chosen to be used as a relay by the NKN network?

2 Likes

I understood that you get NKN not only from mining, but also by providing resources (compute + memory?) to NKN projects like nConnect. I would also like “to be able to have dozens of raspberry pi devices dedicated to acting as NKN nodes from 1 singular location”. By the way, do you know if this is the case for other cryptocurrency mining operations?, i.e. can you run several mining BTC ASICs or ETH rigs on a singular internet connection?

You can run as many ASICs as you want from a single ip address on other coins like Ethereum and Bitcoin. This is because most cryptocurrency mining is done via Proof-of-Work, as compared to NKN’s proof-of-relay. In other words, each mining machine or “node” in NKN terms does not care about pubic IP address, because their concern is solving cryptographic puzzles and not to relay data so to speak, and also because all proof-of-work mining operations that I can think of do not require port forwarding… Which I think is the real issue with NKN and public IP address. So in theory you would only be limited to how many internal private address you have to label each device in your own internal network which is 256 for regular people or billions for those that know networking well.

1 Like

Do you know how to use the nConnect project? I’m not sure how it works or how to setup an NKN nConnect miner

Thank you for your response. I don’t know how nConnect works, or how one can get rewards from implementing it in a node. You’ve probably seen this page, but anyway here is some more description of the product https://nkn.org/products/nconnect/

Hello!

nConnect is a product, not a miner :slight_smile:
You can use it as a VPN to connect from a mac to a PC for eg.

As a miner you can see the usage of your node by program such as nConnect when you receive “Nano paiements” (you can see them on nscan.io)

Best,

So, to clarify there is nothing I have to do in order to host someone using nConnect? As in, no special configuration or software I have to install in addition to the standard NKN miner?

Hello!

If you installed nkn-commercial everything is included in :slight_smile:

Umm. I think I just installed the standard NKN. Which is the one that only requires ports 30001-30005. Is there a difference or are all nodes the same?