We released the first security audited and non-beta version of our mainnet v2.0 at https://github.com/nknorg/nkn/releases, as part of the NKN 2.0 ecosystem. NKN 2.0 leaps beyond blockchain to offer the indispensable communication services to connect people and things, with mainnet v2.0 being the solid infrastructure for these services. This post is only for mainnet v2.0. See this article for NKN 2.0 launch.
There are massive new features and improvements compared to mainnet v1.0 released a year ago, here are some of the highlights:
- Security audited by world leading security company Chaitin Tech, all known issues have already been fixed (with one low vulnerability issue as exception, which will be fixed in the future)
- New secure wallet format v2 using state of the art key derivation function, millions times harder to brute force than v1 format
- Name service generally available: using human readable name instead of public key for sending and receiving messages
- NanoPay generally available: lock-free payment channel for bandwidth usage payment
- Significant relay performance improvement: 95% less relay RAM usage, 20x higher throughput for low memory node
- Network and consensus security enhancement
- State pruning will be turned on by default (pruning only happens when nknd starts)
Upgrade to v2 Wallet Format
v1 wallet format is being deprecated because v2 wallet format is much more secure than v1. NKN node and SDK will continue to support v1 wallet format, but wallet created by new version of nknc and SDK will be in v2 format.
Existing wallets in v1 format are strongly recommended to be upgraded to v2 format if there are (or will be) any token in them. We provide a few simple way to upgrade v1 wallet to v2:
- Import your v1
wallet.jsonin https://wallet.nkn.org and download it to get
wallet.jsonin v2 format. Note: you need to explicitly import the wallet; if you find you don’t need to import it and browser remembers your wallet, the downloaded wallet will still be v1 format. A simple way to make sure it works is to open https://wallet.nkn.org in browser’s private mode.
nknc wallet --changepasswordto change your wallet password, and the updated
wallet.jsonwill be in v2 format. You can use the same password as new password, and nknc will still update the wallet to v2 format.
As part of the NKN 2.0 ecosystem, we also released nkn-commercial. nkn-commercial provides a much more convenient way to run and upgrade nknd, see details at: NKN commercial: an all-in-one mining software for NKN ecosystem
Upgrade to v2.0
Please update your node as soon as possible due to the security improvements!
- If you are using nkn-commercial or nknx fast deploy, you don’t need to do anything.
- If you are using one-click on DO/AWS/Google Cloud, you just need to stop and restart and miner and it will upgrade automatically.
- If you downloaded the release version, you just need to download it again at https://github.com/nknorg/nkn/releases , replace files and start nknd again
- If you build from scratch, you just need to do the build again.
- If you are using some scripts or tutorials that has auto-updater, then it should be automatic if the auto-updater is working properly.
We don’t recommend anyone to download the ChainDB snapshot manually, but if you really want or need, you can use https://nkn.org/ChainDB_pruned_latest.zip or https://nkn.org/ChainDB_pruned_latest.tar.gz for pruned ChainDB.