NKN Mining in Africa problem (people using mostly tethering)

Taken from telegram.

Yash Juma, [28.05.19 18:00]
waiting for mainet launch fed up with errors in trying to mine NKN now in testnet

Node is too lonely

lol !

:czech_republic: Lukas | NKN, [28.05.19 18:02]
[In reply to Yash Juma]
Looks like a problem with connection. If you don’t mind, you can explain your problem with description what you did, how your setup looks and someone will take a look. Answers are usually very fast.

Please use Problems sub-category https://forum.nkn.org/c/testnet-mining

:czech_republic: Lukas | NKN, [28.05.19 18:02]
Also you’re welcome to our Discord.

Yash Juma, [28.05.19 18:03]
[In reply to :czech_republic: Lukas | NKN]
im using smarphone wifi over my pc, very likely the cause

:czech_republic: Lukas | NKN, [28.05.19 18:04]
[In reply to Yash Juma]
If you use wifi tethering, than it basically creates a new network. And that can cause problems, because you’d need to set port-forwarding on your phone, which is a problem.

:czech_republic: Lukas | NKN, [28.05.19 18:04]
and if your internet is from your carrier, he can have strict firewall policy and they don’t always give you a public IP.

Yash Juma, [28.05.19 18:05]
[In reply to :czech_republic: Lukas | NKN]
this is how most 90% of People in africa have access to internet

Yash Juma, [28.05.19 18:05]
especially east africa

:czech_republic: Lukas | NKN, [28.05.19 18:06]
[In reply to Yash Juma]
I see. This is technically hard to solve, if not impossible. What do you think @skysniper @brucezli? Any ideas how the bandwidth could be delegated to someone else, who has a public IP and can mine?

Yash Juma, [28.05.19 18:06]
then how can us in tanzania Mine NKN ???

coz most internet is via smartphone

smartphone = hotspot = laptop

Yash Juma, [28.05.19 18:07]
no router

Yash Juma, [28.05.19 18:07]
or LAN whatso ever

There are multiple port forwarding apps for android on the app store. I’m sure there are similar apps for iOS. Perhaps they can be a solution if that is the only problem.

In addition, here is a great article that I found. It outlines how to diagnose and fix 9 different problems, that you might have with port forwarding.

http://www.pcwintech.com/common-problems-fixes-port-forwarding

2 Likes

This is very hard to solve. If the device has to rely to someone else (e.g. proxy) to receive incoming connections like:
public internet -> proxy -> device
then it makes much more sense for the proxy to just run nknd itself because: 1) it increases performance, 2) it increases mining reward as the proxy now earn full (instead of partial) mining reward, and 3) in reduces bandwidth cost between proxy and device.

2 Likes

I believe the only solution maybe ipv6. I have successful experience with tethering. All tethered devices can get 1 ipv4-nat + 1 ipv6-public.

1 Like