Static IPv4 Shortage

Hey, so for the last month I’ve been studying the possibility to create several NKN nodes on a physical format instead of using a VPS.

And in fact, what I found is profoundly dissapointing, as I basically understood that is de facto impossible to build a commercial scale NKN node project physically. Because each node need a public static IPv4, and you need your ISP to actually provide you one, but in most cases they wont or they would just tax you like 15$ per 1 ip which is just not profitable, in opposition to 5$ per VPS with 1GBps and a free static IPv4.

This scenario lets you with only the possibillity to use VPS on a commercial scale, which is frustrating because it just concentrates the grand majority of nodes in a few centralized providers. Instead of letting the community the power to build their own network infrastructure with a few hundred homemade servers.

Leave your thoughts below.

Are you dissapointed about this topic?
  • Yes
  • No
  • I don’t really mind

0 voters

If we can build one NKN node into every home router, then you can have billions of nodes that are decentralized.

In some countries, you can get a c-block IP address for enterprise/business network.

But for mass adoption these routers would have to include or make use of the NKN technology by default, or being made by the NKN organization specifically with that purpose. Which implies that you have to convince billions of people to use your technology instead of the one provided by traditional ISP. I have read something, but I dont really know yet how the NKN organization plans to manage this situation. I would love to know some of the plans involved in this topic.

I also know the existence of these IP blocks, but the bussiness barrier, the tediosity of the brokerage operation, and the costs of convincing your local ISP to use a owned block instead of theirs, are high. (Atleast in my region)

To further @Papishushi’s point. The inclusion of IPv6 would open up HUGE possibilities and most providers give their customers a /64 minimum. this would allow for extremely high level of address availability to allow mass scaling of nodes. (assuming NKN can handle 1mil+ nodes.)

Even if the IPv6 version was a separated network with some miners acting as DUAL providers to allow the networks to interact. That would make tracing and tracking a billion times harder. True anonymity within the network.

1 Like

One potential problem is that a miner could spin up millions of IPv6 nodes within a single location, and overwhelm the entire NKN network. IPv4 shortage is a limitation, but also a deterrent.

I believe you’ve already created that deterrent with the 10nkn per node id generation. It would be incredibly costly for someone to try and pull that off in this sense.

What I see in an amazing lowcost 30+ node home pi system that will make good use of my gig speed home internet.

1 Like